US Army suspends discharging immigrant recruits

US Army suspends discharging immigrant recruits

 
0.0
 
0.0 (0)
1   0   0   0
Write Review
Army-recruits.jpg
WASHINGTON(TIP): The 
U.S. army has for now suspended its practice of quietly discharging 
immigrant recruits, according to a news report published in newspapers.

An Associate Press report said that 
Marshal Williams, an assistant secretary of the Army, ordered 
high-ranking officials to suspend the processing of separations in a 
July 20 memo.

The news comes one month after the AP 
reported the Army had discharged dozens of immigrant recruits and 
reservists, putting their immigration status at risk.

“It’s an admission by the Army that 
they’ve improperly discharged hundreds of soldiers,” immigration 
attorney and former Army Reserve officer Margaret Stock, who helped 
create the program, told the AP on Wednesday. “The next step should be 
go back and rescind the people who were improperly discharged.”

Many immigrant recruits told the AP last
 month they were not given a reason for their discharges or said they 
were labeled as a security risk because of their relatives abroad.

Reports estimate there are around 10,000
 Army recruits currently serving as part of the program, which offers a 
pathway to citizenship, according to the AP.

The discharges inflamed immigration 
activists last month, who pointed to the policy as another example of 
escalating anti-immigration sentiment under President Trump.




   







It is unclear if the Army will resume 
discharging immigrant recruits, and the AP reported none of those 
already separated have been reinstated.



Source:https://www.theindianpanorama.news/unitedstates/us-army-suspends-discharging-immigrant-recruits/

User reviews

There are no user reviews for this listing.
Already have an account? or Create an account